Friday, February 12, 2016

Valencia versus Barcelona

Wednesday was a long day for me between Spanish classes, dance classes, and the best part of all, the soccer game between Valencia and Barcelona.  The week before Valencia lost to Barcelona 0-7 in the Copa del Rey, so this was kind of a bummer knowing that Valencia really didn't stand a chance, but I didn't really care because I was so excited to see these two teams play!  The other bummer was that a couple days before the game I found out that one of the best players for Barcelona was not going to play because of a medial problem (Messi), but again, I still was very excited to see the matchup between these two teams.  
When arriving at the stadium I was really excited because it seemed so big and so high.  We waited in a long line to get in because we weren't sure where to go, and it turns out we picked the wrong line because we actually were supposed to go to the "tower" where the lines weren't as long.  I really didn't mind this because I was so excited to just be there.  We climbed up and up, going around in circles in the tower to reach the top where our seats were.  When I walked out into the stadium part, I under stand why we walked so far up! When I looked down from the top to see where our seats were I was kind of scared to look down because the steps were so steep.  And even to scare me more they had medical teams at the top.  Once we walked down and got to our seats, the view was really good.  We arrived a little late so I didn't get to see the kick off of the game but I was just so excited to be there that it didn't really bother me.  
It is customary to bring a sandwich, drink, and snack into the game (unlike in the US where you have to pay an ungodly amount for food).  As soon as we got comfortable in our seats I started to eat my sandwich because I was so hungry and I wanted to enjoy the rest of the game without being hungry.  
The game was a lot better actually being there rather than watching it on tv.  Soccer seems to be a rather boring sport for Americans to watch because we have so many more sports with a lot more action like football or hockey, but the atmosphere of being there made it really great.  
Valencia scored in the first half (45 minutes), but Barcelona was able to retaliate with a goal later on in the second half.  
The final score was 1-1 and Barcelona was already moving on to the finals for the Copa del Rey, but it was definitely
a really fun experience!  I'm thinking about going to another game sometime in the future! 




3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you because you are getting to experience all that Spain has to offer. You look great and hope your studies are going well. Just think all you be able to tell your students. Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love getting your messages, so glad you are safe and enjoying everything. You look great! Wishing you continued enjoyment, can't wait to hear experiences. Happy valentine's day.💌

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melanie ..just wanted to let you know that I'm really enjoying Spain..it is a beautiful country.. You seem to have made some very nice friends..please stay safe and keep enjoying the great places you are seeing ... I really can't tell you enough how much I love your photos..

    ReplyDelete