Sunday, March 6, 2016

Flamenco!



Ever since the end of January I have been taking flamenco and ritmos latinos classes at a nearby dance studio.  Flamenco is a traditional Spanish dance that originated in the south of Spain (Andalucía).  It is a combination of Arabic and Spanish music and dance.  It is not very common in the Valencia area but I thought it would be really cool to learn a traditional Spanish dance. 
We have been practicing a choreography for about a month or so now and today I finally got to perform it.  Today is "Día de la Mujer" and Rocío Giner, the owner of the studio and professional flamenca, set up to do a flash mob type video and perform for the public on the bridge in front of the Torres de Serranos.  It was very exciting because everyone in the studio was learning the same choreography (slightly different for each level) and we would all perform it together.  It was such an emotional and cool experience to be a part of!  I hope I will be able to participate in another flamenco demonstration before I leave! 







1 comment:

  1. Wow! What fun. If I were younger you could teach me to dance the Flamenco when you come home. Looks like a lot of fun and I think it is a beautiful dance. Keep up the good work. Glad you are doing it all.
    Time is flying by. Good Luck in your midterms.

    ReplyDelete